I don't know about you, but I love pickles. Probably too much. To the point where I normally give myself a stomach ache from eating have a jar in one sitting (oops!). Sooooo... I was craving pickles the other day and figured I'd try and make my own. They turned out delicious! I can't wait to try different flavor combinations to make them sweeter, saltier, etc. These concoctions might be my new go to for gifts! This attempt turned out semi-sweet with a hefty kick of spice at the end, so if you don't like spice, adjust accordingly.
I worked off of a recipe I found on a Farmgirl's dabbles, but really only used that to get familiar with how to make refrigerator pickles. My pickle formula was:
Sweet n' Spicy Pickles
- 1 cucumber
- 1/6 of a white onion
- 1/4 green pepper (seeds removed)
- 1/2 jalapeno (seeds removed)
- 1 clove raw garlic
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt (I didn't have pickling salt, but kosher salt can be used in its place, it just takes longer to dissolve)
- 1 tsp. black pepper (more to taste)
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup white balsamic vinegar
Combine all ingredients except the vinegar and sugar in a separate bowl and set aside for about an hour. Bring sugar and vinegar to a rolling boil in a saucepan and pour over the other ingredients. Cover and let sit in the refrigerator for at least 2 days. And viola! Pickles!